Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 15:42:07 -0400
From:      "Booth, Christopher" <christopher_booth@mcgraw-hill.com>
To:        "'freebsd'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Christopher Booth <cbooth@aixx.net>
Subject:   IRQ #s

Greetings, FreeBSDers:

I am having problems with both sound and, most importantly, my modem.

I am using a new install of FreeBSD 3.1. (These things worked in 2.2.6.)

	MODEM:

At bootup I saw this message referring to sio2, where I have my modem:

     configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

So I changed the IRQ in the kernel to 3, and at bootup I have this message:

     configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

This looks like an IRQ problem, doesn't it? I have not been able to get PPP
to work from many configurations of PPP as well as via KDE's PPP feature,
ppxp, and tkppxp. I can dial up and connect briefly, but nothing passes
through between my ISP and FreeBSD.

	SOUND:

My sound card is configured thusly in the kernel and shows thusly at bootup
(and worked this way in 2.2.6):

     sb0	irq 7	drq1
     sbxvi0		drq 5

I can get sound to work with

     cat some_sound_file.au > /dev/audio

but afterward a high-pitched whine won't go away until killed with the PID
or at reboot. CD-playing applications just crash and burn when I try to run
them.

Both these problems look like IRQ problems. But in dmesg and in my kernel
configuration file there are no conflicts that I can see. I made a list of
the IRQ #s I found in those two places:

	atkbd		irq 1
	sio0		irq 4
	sio2		irq 5, then irq 3
(sio1 and sio3 are both commented out in the kernel and don't appear at
bootup)
	fdc0		irq 6		drq 2
	sb0		irq 7		drq 1
	sbxvi0				drq5
	vga0		irq 10
	PCI slot 2	irq 10
	npx0		irq 13
	wdc0		irq 14
	wdc1		irq 15

Could the problem be  the vga0 and PCI slot 2 sharing the irq # 10?

Is there a table of IRQ numbers?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Booth