Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:23:37 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

Jordan writes..

>> Actually, Dennis started this thread by trying to get a price reference for
>> the Async solution that Jordan referred to....I did not start it by saying
>> that sync is better than async. My point was that if  for about the same
>> money you can have a more flexible solution that will use less of your CPU
>> it is worth considering. Unlike most of you, my perspective is
>
>All true, and now that we've established that the basic cost of entry
>(not counting the line itself) for a TA and a serial card is about $650
>(or 2X if you're responsible for both sides), the final question simply
>remains as to whether the cost *increment* to get that last 38.9% or so
>is worth it.  I'm not saying it is or isn't either way, and 38.9% is
>certainly nothing to sneeze at (that's basically one V.34 modem's worth
>of pipe you're *losing*), but if sync serial cards cost half again what
>the TAs cost, well, that's a steep knee in the price/performance curve
>too! :(
>
>That's why I was optimistic about the ISDN card solutions:  They're
>cheaper than TAs, they give you your full 128K, and when drivers become
>available (and they will, I am confident) they are just as plug-n-play
>as a TA to anyone reasonably competent with a screwdriver.  People are
>plugging in their own VGA cards, I suppose they can handle an ISDN card!
>:)
>
>However, you've already said that you don't like the ISDN cards and
>consider them too limited, so we're back to the cost argument again.
>Maybe what's needed is a low-end sync serial card that doesn't cost much
>more than $150 and does everything up to 512K or so on one port.  Target
>it at the end user who only has (and needs) one connection and might go
>frac-T1 someday but will most likely be pottering around at 128Kb for
>some time.  Let's face it, most of us will never have a T1 at home.  We
>will dream about it, but that's going to be the premium business pipe
>for some time and I don't expect it to fall within the reach of mere
>mortals anytime soon!  If I'm even going 256K by the end of '96 I'll be
>pretty happy.  So I would have need for a pair of sync-serial cards that
>were cheap and would do everything up to this data rate for at least 2
>years, and that's all the service life I expect from *any* computer
>related component these days.. :-)  I'm not an ISP, I'm an end-user and
>my needs and budget are rather different than the market you probably
>deal with ordinarily..

You can sell one for $150. if  you want! Find someone who'll take 1,000 at a
time and is willing to do the support and pay COD then we can talk.

 If you want a dumb controller, fine, but that defeats the purpose, and then
it won't do frac T1 very well.

I'm thinking about a $600. solution in reasonable quantities (about $250.
for the TA and $350. for the card and software). Better than ISDN card
solutions because of the HDLC processor power and convertable to leased
line. There'd have to be a decent market for it though. You can't sell a
handful of cards at low profit.....

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25