Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:24:29 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Maksimov Maksim" <maksim@tts.tomsk.su>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How defend from stream2.c attack?

On Jun 21,  5:36pm, "Maksimov Maksim" wrote:
} Subject: How defend from stream2.c attack?
} How defend from stream2.c attack (flooding ACK-packets) on my FreeBSD box?
} I install FreeBSD 4.0-20000608-STABLE, but stream2.c attack freezed this
} FreeBSD box as before!

This version of FreeBSD should be fairly immune to the standard stream2.c
attack (even without ICMP_BANDLIM, which I would recommend using).  It
seems the biggest part of the problem was caused by the incoming packets
which had IP addresses in the multicast range.  We tweaked tcp_input()
so that these get ignored.  We didn't do anything about broadcast source
addresses, so if you are attacked by a variant of stream2 that uses these
you could still have problems.

I would recommend adding packet filter rules that block incoming packets
with IP broadcast addresses, both 255.255.255.255, and the broadcast
address(es) of your local network(s).