Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:35:52 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        david@hermes.cybernetics.net (David Edwards)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, david@hermes.cybernetics.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0 Help ??? (fwd)

David Edwards stands accused of saying:
> > Is there a known problem with Installation of 2.0 FreeBSD?

Several 8)

> > I am attempting an installation on a 486 SX- 25 with 8 Meg of memory.
> > Partioning works fine. Assigning and Disklabeling works fine. I am using an
> > external CDROM thru a 1542 Adaptec ISA SCSI controller.
> >
> > 	After Installing all distributions except secrdist, and XFree86-3.1
> > I have used :
> > 		10 Meg of 15 Meg for /
> > 		148 Meg of 278 Meg for /usr
> > 		65 bytes of 9 Meg for /var

That's a really awful partitioning scheme...

> > 	Installation of all software works fine except the XFree86-3.1
> > distribution.  The Progress box shows verifying checksums, and then Extracting
> > FreeBSD 3.1 distribution. Once this extraction starts, the machine
> > quits writing to disk.  The machine must be rebooted. How long should
> > it take to install the XFree86-3.1 distribution?

It only takes a couple of minutes.  WHat you haven't noticed is that
the XFree install program is running on the second console.  Hit Alt-F2
to switch there and continue with the install.

> > Please Help... I Just wan't it to install and work correctly!!!
> > Thanks in advance.  It would also be great to know of someone who
> > could answer FreeBSD type questions as they come up.

Send mail to majordomo@freebsd.org containing 'help', and subscribe to the
freebsd-questions mailing list.

> > I previously had FreeBSD 2.0950412-SNAP installed, and working on this machine.
> > Everything was working fine, except ELM, and the Network addressing to an
> > Internet Connection. I was unable to receive mail from my Internet Connection.
> > ELM could not perform a flock operation on the respective mail box. I decided
> > to try an installation from an actual FreeBSD RELEASE to see if I could get any
> > further.  At my place of employment, we have a 486/66 running RELEASE 1.1.5.1
> > of FreeBSD. This machine has a connection to the Internet, and all works fine
> > ELM, and receiving of mail.  My snap installation was from this machine was has
> > RELEASE 1.1.5.1. on it.

Installing 2.0R is actually a _major_ downgrade from the 950412-SNAP.  If
you bought your CDROM from Walnut Creek, return it and ask for a 2.0.5R
set.  They're due shortly.

> > David W. Edwards

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[