Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:44:33 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new libmp imported

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> installed.  This would involve a repo copy of crypto/openssl/crypto/bn
> to contrib/openssl-bn or something, and I'd keep the two in sync with
> future vendor imports.

You're likely to get people saying "repo bloat".  And it does seem a
little wrong to have two copies in the tree like that.

Just what programs are affected by this issue (ie, which use libmp)?

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 03:41:11PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > > libmp that I haven't been able to test is the Kerberized telnet, but
> > > since it's the same code as the other telnets, there shouldn't be any
> > > problems.
> >
> > When Mark and I talked about this a few months ago, we concluded that
> > we'd have to first break out the (self-contained) bignum lib [...]
>
> BIGNUM isn't self-contained.  It needs the ERR_* subsystem, as well as
> (I think) the BIO subsystem.
> can get it to work, so much the better.  That said, right now
> everything that uses libmp could be considered `crypto' code, anyway,

I don't see anything wrong with that.  At this point the `crypto' code
should be seen as virtually required.  Originally was was "optional"
because of USA export laws.  That is not an issue today.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)