Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:16:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Janos Mohacsi <mohacsi@bagira.iit.bme.hu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preventing single user login w/o password

On 21 Dec 1998, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> writes:
> > Janos Mohacsi wrote,
> > > How can I prevent booting FreeBSD into the single user mode without
> > > supplying either root or maybe  different password?
> > Here's the simple answer, but you might not like it,
> >
> >        Control physical access to the machine.
> >
> > "There is no security without physical security."
>
> Well, you can translate physical access to the computer into physical
> access to a more manageable item, such as a Java ring, if you use some
> kind of hardware device which strongly encrypts your disks and keep
> the encryption key on the Java ring. The idea is that you can't boot
> the computer without the ring, and you can't decrypt the contents of
> the disk drive without it either (not within reasonable amounts of
> time, anyway).

I'm actually not sure this is a solution.  If I have physical access to
the machine, I can induce (via hardware or software) a mechanism to
capture your key when or before you attach the key to the machine so that
the decryption can occur.  I think there is a fairly strong evidence that
'tamper-proof hardware' simply cannot exist, at least not economically, if
not at all.  If your key was required to perform the disk-decryption
operations, presumably that is a step in the right direction, but if it
just transfers the key, I come in and set something up to intercept the
key when you arrive to boot the machine.  It's sort of like the kerberos
database master key--if anyone cares, they can get it trivially.  If it
is before kerberos has started, look for a stash file or trojan the
terminal driver; if it is after, attach a debugger to the kerberos
process, if it uses the key, it must have it in a recoverable form.  So
why bother? :)

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/