Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 1996 11:25:52 +0100
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@netland.sub.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Subject:   Re: teTeX distribution

Satoshi Asami:

> Great.  Actually, we prefer it to made for 2.2-current, but usually it
> works for both so don't worry too much if you only have a 2.1 system.

I did the port for 2.1.0.  Ollivier Robert didn't find any further
patch for 2.2-current than I did for 2.0.5.  So my 2.1.0 port should
be ok.

Although this port is something of an exercise.  Thomas Esser has
announced that there will be a new release of teTeX soon, incorporating
LaTeX2e <1995/12/01> PL#4, among other things.

Unfortunately, I cannot promise keeping current with FreeBSD all the
time.  I also work on teTeX for NetBSD and BSD/OS.  Keeping up-to-date
with all variants of BSD would make up a full-time job itself. ;-)

> Also, please don't bother uploading the package, as we will build it
> by ourselves anyway.  (Of course trying it on your system to make sure
> the packaging works is another issue, and in fact is strongly
> recommended.)

First of all, let me say that I like your porting scheme very much.
I worked through your instructions, set up the Makefile in parallel,
and "make install" worked right away.  Great!

But I had some trouble doing "make package".  Could someone, please,
have a look at the following error message?

  Checksums OK.
  ===>  Building package for teTeX-0.3.3
  Failed to execute tar command!
  Creating package /usr/ports/packages/All/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz
  Registering depends:.
  Creating gzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/packages/All/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz'
  tar command failed with code 512
  Creating package /usr/ports/packages/All/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz
  Registering depends:.
  Creating gzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/packages/All/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz'
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop.

Maybe, teTeX's pkg/PLIST is much too long for tar? -- In order to
create pkg/PLIST I did

  (cd /usr/local; find teTeX -type f) > pkg/PLIST

This generates a list of about 2500 entries.

Apropos /usr/local/teTeX: Usually, teTeX lives, like X11R6, in a
directory tree of its own, including binaries, man pages, the texmf
library, etc.  Especially, the TeX Directory Structure (TDS) doesn't
comply with BSD's directory layout, but, I guess, that is acceptable
for a full set of multi-platform tools. ;-)

One further issue:  I didn't yet establish the list of dependencies
as for RUN_DEPEND and LIB_DEPEND in the port's Makefile.  It seems
to me that this would result in a rather long list for a distribution
like teTeX.

For initial inspection I uploaded my port to

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/teTeX-0.3.3.tgz

I would be happy for any suggestion you might have.  Since this is
my first trial I surely don't expect this to be the final version.

Greetings, Bernd.

P.S.: My first FTp session died.  I renamed the transmitted file to
teTeX-0.3.3.tgz-2nd-trial.

--
Bernd Rosauer
br@netland.sub.de