Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:01:44 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape story

Kris Kennaway said on Feb 22, 2001 at 19:25:20:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:59:34PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
>
> > kicks on and stays on.  Maybe Mozilla is different from N6, I don't know.
>
> Mozilla is light-years ahead of NS 6.0 (haven't tried the new NS6,
> I've got no need to.)

Mozilla has not crashed on me even once (versions 0.7 and 0.8 on
FreeBSD).  I can't think of another browser I can say that about,
well maybe w3m (even lynx has crashed sometimes).  But it is slow
-- on a PII-400 MHz with around 128 MB RAM, it still takes a while
to startup and often takes time to redraw the window, with some
very ugly-looking intermediate stages.  I don't think it would be
usable on an older/slower machine.  (The rendering engine is fast,
especially with tables where it doesn't wait for all images to be
downloaded first before displaying.  It's the UI which seems to
bog it down.)  I haven't tried the new NS6 and only briefly tried
the older one, so can't comment.

Rahul