Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:52:13 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Grant Speelman <grantg@xsinet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup behind windows xp

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:33:18AM +0200, Grant Speelman wrote:

> I got the small problem, I would like to keep my ports collection=20
> update using cvsup but I don't have a direct connection to the=20
> internet. My Computer is on a network with my Fathers computer which=20
> is running windows xp.  Lets say I have full access to my fathers=20
> computer as long I don't remove windows xp. What would I have to do=20
> to my fathers computer and my in order to keep my ports collections=20
> updated.
>=20
> I read the man pages something about cvsup using a socks proxy but=20
> where do I find this runsock(I look in the ports and try the 'which'=20
> command) and how do I use it.=20

You can enable 'connection sharing' on your Father's XP box which
should permit your FreeBSD machine sufficient network access to run
cvsup(1).  Connection Sharing simply makes the XP machine into a NAT
gateway for your home network, and enables a DHCP+DNS service on the
XP box, so that other home machines can autoconfigure themselves
against it.  A FreeBSD machine should be able to do that without too
much trouble.

There's plenty of previous traffic on this topic on the FreeBSD lists
-- start with these, for example

    http://freebsd.rambler.ru/srch?words=3D%22Connection+sharing%22

Good luck.  Oh, and good luck in the near future when you start trying
to persuade your Father that having a FreeBSD box to do the Internet
Gateway stuff would be a better idea -- somehow I can sense that one
coming...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20