Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        current@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exmh and current.. anyone?

Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:

|> >From The Desk Of David Nugent :
|> > As someone pointed out, if the new tcl8 initialisation files were
|> > moved into /usr/libdata/tcl8.0/ rather than their current location,
|> > it would mitigate problems with any transition from 2.2 to -current
|> > as the existing files and libraries would remain intact. I honestly
|>
|> Wrong , again the issue is not tcl8.xxx rather is what it ought
|> to be requirement: a resonable ability to resolve technical issues.

Well, I'm new to FreeBSD, but, I'm not new to Tcl/Tk, and I regret
to say I have to disagree with Amancio on this one.  It may be in
this case there may be a failure of the system to resolve technical
issues (I wasn't involved, and my only comment on the situation
is that I love the ports collection, *and*, I'm running -current
because I wanted access to new drivers, even though I'm probably
not an ideal -current candidate).

Despite all that, I have to disagree, as I said, because, for one
reason and another, historically, Tcl/Tk has been far less upwardly,
and downwardly, compatible than it could or should have been.  Of course,
every change has a good justification, and all that, but the effect is
that not only do lots of things break upon upgrades, but, sometimes,
you just can't seem to build a version of your app which will work
across multiple Tcl/Tk versions. That must make it difficult to try
to maintain a single ports collection.  Just recently, I attempted
to move a package up to 7.6 (you folks are talking 8.x!), and, for
some reason, numerical input in a particular labelled entry window
is now getting mysteriously input incorrectly.  Not a big deal, but,
typical, and what with one thing and another, Tcl/Tk apps break a lot
more frequently than you might expect based on other languages/packages.
On some Unix systems, you can still compile and link (the libraries
still work!) K&R C if you need to, but, you can expect some Tck/Tk
apps to break with every new version release.  That is why the
issue might very well be which versions of Tcl/Tk are the standard,
default release.

Don't get me wrong, I think Tcl/Tk is the only way to go for many
apps.  But, I think that to avoid a lot of wasted time needlessly
thrashing with Tcl/Tk apps, a single version should be the standard,
default version used by system utilities and the ports collection
for a particular system release.  And, hopefully, one of these days
Tcl/Tk will start being truly upward-compatible.

|> Yes, we need users on current however people should understand that
|> is a fluid environment.

No question that -current should be a fluid environment.  What drives
some of us to use 3.0-current instead of 2.2.2 are new drivers that
don't always get back-ported to previous versions.

Apologies in advance for anything ignorant or misinformed I may
have said herein.

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.