Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:02:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        don't haveone <hacked666@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions 2

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, don't haveone wrote:
>   OK, I'll clarify the cross platform statement. What
> I'm looking for is an OS that is a desktop OS, that is
> also capable of being used as a server. Also needs to
> have several programs ported for it. I know that FBSD
> is able to use the same ones as Linux, or most of
> them.

	Well, so far you've described most of the open source Unix
varients.  What are you specifically looking for?  FWIW, I'm using a
FreeBSD system right now for email (pine and TWIG), ssh, web browsing,
file management, MP3 playing, AppleTalk file serving, web serving, and
maybe a few other things that I've forgotten.  I've got another system (a
mere 486sx!) that's active as a server for a handful of friends and has
ssh, telnet, ftp, web serving, email (via pine and the webmail system
TWIG), an IRC client, and a BBS (via apache, mod_perl, and WWWThreads).
To my knowledge, the Zip drive won't work in FreeBSD unless its SCSI (or,
maybe, IDE).