Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:35:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Weyrich Computing Consulting <weyrich@goodnet.com>
To:        "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@netapp.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS Performance

My first reaction is to question your premise that you need to use NFS to
do this -- running find into a cpio pipe across the network is much more
efficient, since individual file operations are not being done across the
network.

orville.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Mohler, Jeff wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:13:58 -0800
> From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@netapp.com>
> To: "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: NFS Performance
>
> Greetings:
>
> I need to use a Fbsd box to do a 1Tb data migration via NFS between two NetApp
> boxes, and unfortunately the NetApp tools such as 'vol copy' are not applicable.
>
> Ive used Fbsd for years, but have never thought much about tuning NFS for
> maximum thruput.
>
> I hope to be using the Alteon Gig-E card(s) in the Fbsd box, this is a
> P3/550/256Mb system.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)  Will the box perform better with ONE card doing reads from one box, and the
> other writing to the destination filer?  Or one card doing both. (mainly a
> question about how will the data work best..across the bus, or within the same
> card during the Xfer)
>
> 2)  Specific kernel tricks to enhance data movement.  The data set isnt all
> large files, but a large free WWW hosting site, tons of small files as well as
> www server logs for thousands of virtual servers.
>
> 3)  Can anyone reccomend perhaps a better card than the Alteon?  We stopped
> using the Alteon at NetApp because of it's overall dismal performance.  The
> Intel GigE card would be quite nice..if I had a choice.
>
> Thanks

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.                 Weyrich Computer Consulting
mailto:orville@weyrich.com     KD7HJV        http://www.weyrich.com
Visit our online collection of book reviews:

		  http://www.weyrich.com/book_reviews/

Ask about our world wide web services!