Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2023 15:55:08 +0100
From:      Olivier Certner <olivier.freebsd@free.fr>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: periodic trim for ufs2 ssds

> I wouldn't expect that to work...

Indeed, it can't possibly work if fsck cannot know the inflight block allocations, which I don't think it can know.

So I'd say instead that, if 'fsck_ffs -B -E' doesn't spit out an error, then it's probably a bug...

> I'd go the other way. I'd turn trim on for UFS and monitor the system under
> load. Newer drives I've evaluated have much better pathological behavior
> than the drives of a few years ago... there's a lot of left over fud about
> how it's always terrible...

Personally, I've never bothered and have always turned trimming on on UFS, without practical problems.

Regards.

--
Olivier Certner