Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:54:05 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry@gti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to Startx Following Upgrade--Error in, Locking Authority File

I wrote:

>> I had a similar problem, although in my case, I suspect it's due to some
>> cheap hardware.
>>
>> At any rate, before starting X try
>
>> xauth -b quit
>>
>> This will break any locks.  (If your problem has similar causes as mine
>> did, there will be an .Xauthority, and a couple of others--.Xauthority-c
>> and .Xauthority-l, if I remember correctly.)

> Hi Scott,
> I ran the command, xauth -b quit, but no change.  You are correct however, in
> that two files, .Xauthority-c and .Xauthority-l, were present.  Now only
> .Xauthority remains.
>
> Not sure what my next steps are.
>
> Bob

Hrrm, I'm not sure either.  The xauth -b quit should remove those two
files.   It was explained to me on this list that they're lock files
that weren't properly removed.

Also, I missed that you could run it as root, which means it probably
has a different cause.  It's probably some silly permissions issue that
we're overlooking.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
shallow. Think of all the
poor people I could help with all my money.