Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:59:57 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xorg-server anyone?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:35:06PM +0000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:56:59AM +0200, Marius Strobl wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > is anyone successfully running x11-servers/xorg-server 6.7 on sparc64?
> > I ask because the keyboard doesn't work under X, most keys are off by
> > one, e.g. if you press 'd' you get a 'f', and some keys, don't work at
> > all. I have a patch which fixes this but what really puzzles me is that
> > while the code obviously can't work it didn't change in a while and is
> > essentially the same as it was in XFree86-Server-4.3.x and these had no
> > such problems. It also doesn't look like the XFree86-Server ports ever
> > had a patch which would address this.
> > Is someone running XFree86-Server-4.4.0 on sparc64?
>
> XFree86 had this problem (it was related to a hard-coded assumption of
> PC-style keyboard in one of the binaries).  There was a patch

Yes, the problem is that the scancodes get interpreted as PC/AT key-
board ones.

> submitted and incorporated that fixed it, but perhaps it still needs
> to be patched in x-org.  Check the CVS history for the XFree86-Server
> port.

I guess you are refering to the former patch-xf86Events.c. It's part
of XFree 4.4 and Xorg 6.7 but I don't get why this was sufficient to
make Sun keyboards on FreeBSD working. Both XFree and Xorg have two
keyboard drivers, the old "built-in keyboard driver" and the new "kbd"
driver with MD modules. Both drivers basically assumes that every key-
board is a PC/AT one on FreeBSD. I think part of the explanation why
the XFree port works is that it uses the new driver while the Xorg port
uses the old one. Actually both "drivers" are splattered over a lot of
source and it's a bit hard to get which snippet belonges to what
driver. I also didn't find the knob to use either the old or the new
one, yet. I wrote an email to Eric hoping he has more insight and
could help clarify this but didn't get an answer, yet.

Marius