Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      StevenR362@aol.com
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snd970814.tgz

I gave your recent sound driver a spin and ran into some minor problems
with it on current.

1.  The linker set "pnpdevice_set" failed to link.  I believe due to the
lack of a tentative definition.  I solved this by removing extern from the
declaration in pnp.h.

2.  In sound.c, the prototype for "pcmdriver" appears after it is referenced.
I solved this by moving the prototype earlier in the file.

3.  In ad1848.c, there is no visible function pointer declaration for
pcmintr.
I solved this by adding a function prototype for pcmintr at the top of the
file.

Now my remaining problems were strictly hardware related.  I have a clone
card that claims to be sound blaster 16pnp compatible.  It is an Avance
Asound 100.

The pnp info is
CSN 1 Vendor ID: ALS0001 [0x01009305] Serial 0x01000000

I don't know what chipset it uses as the main chip is covered by a sticker
that says only AVANCE.  Nor does my motherboard have a pnp bios.
I could get the device partially initialized by having Win95's pnp init it
and
then soft booting into FreeBSD.  Windows 95 configures it with the following
ports and interupts.

0x0220 irq 5 dma 5
0x0388
0x0330 irq 9 dma 1

Your driver will recognize it as an sb16 but cat'ing an .au file to
/dev/audio
just results in a  1 second noise that sounds like a hard tap on a
microphone.
Putting the vendor id in as an OPTI in ad1848.c results in a lockup of the
machine with a bunch of "calcru: negative time -24xx seconds" messages.
Putting the vendor id in as a CS42xx gives the following probe messages
after soft booting from windows.

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: ALS0001 [0x01009305] Serial 0x01000000
port 0x0220 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 irq 5:0 drq 5:1
mss_attach <ALS0001>1 at 0x 21c irq 5 dma 5:1 flags 0x   10011
dev 3 reg 4 old 0xff new 0x64
dev 4 reg 6 old 0xff new 0x4b
dev 5 reg 26 old 0xff new 0x72
dev 6 reg 18 old 0xff new 0x6d
dev 7 reg 0 old 0xff new 0xff
dev 8 reg 2 old 0xff new 0x64
dev 9 reg 13 old 0xff new 0xff
dev 12 reg 0 old 0xff new 0xf9
pcm0 at 0xffff irq 5 drq 5 mem 0x       0 flags 0x      11 en 1 confl 0
mss_probe: no address supplied, try default 0x0530
I/O address inactive (ff), try pseudo_mss
sb_probe: no address supplied, try defaults (0x220,0x240)
pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 flags 0x11 on isa
        device combination doesn't support shared irq5
        intr_connect(irq5) failed, result=-1

I am going to try guspnp15.tgz next and see if that handles it better.  But
I thought you should get a little feedback on clone cards with your driver.

Steve