Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 2020 06:03:51 +0800
From:      Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-cloud@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instance of 11.3 got "pkg: repository meta has wrong version 2"

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:43 AM Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, at 4:46 PM, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
>
> > The background is some users reported that when launch instance of
> > 11.3, pkg doesn't work at all and the error message is: "pkg:
> > repository meta has wrong version 2"
>
> This affects non-cloud users.  I've encountered it on 12.1 release after
> an upgrade from 12.0 or 11.3, not sure which.
>
> We are using our own repo.
>
> We found 'pkg bootstrap -f' fixed it for us:
>
> re: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/pkg-update-error.74260/

That sounds very possible.  It can happen if the pkg itself didn't get
upgraded for a long time (which won't happen automatically on a base
update), and the self hosted pkg repo already created by the latest
pkg.

For the cloudware, I have this patch to sysutils/firstboot-pkgs and
hope it helps:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24517

Best,
Li-Wen