Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:30:10 -0600
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        Roy Nasser <roy@vem.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Memory utilization rises too much, and then machine crashes...

Roy Nasser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am migrating my system from a RedHat Linux box, and I am having
> some problems...
>
> I have a perl deamon that needs to run... It serves as a
> Search-server. When I run it (I use nice -10), and then go straight
> into TOP, i have about 92mb (out of 128mb) free on my Mem. *I have
> compiled the source of Perl 5.6.0 to see if it improved on something,
> but no luck...*
>
> After a few seconds, that falls to about 9mb, and the following is
> what TOP shows me:
> last pid: 13023;  load averages:  0.05,  0.10,  0.09    up 0+03:07:06
> 19:07:14
> 58 processes:  1 running, 57 sleeping
> CPU states: 0.0% user, 0.0% nice, 0.0% system, 0.8% interrupt, 99.2%
> idle Mem: 43M Active, 44M Inact, 21M Wired, 4440K Cache, 22M Buf,
> 8964K Free Swap: 258M Total, 258M Free
>
> I must run 3 similar perl deamons on each server, for diffeent types
> of searches (I have two, load balanced, servers).
>
> After a while, the memory (with 3 servers) falls to literally 0kb,
> and the machine stops handling requests, with an error that says: "no
> more processes" whenever i try to enter any command... The machine
> must be forcefully restarted (as not even reboot or shutdown commands
> work), and then brought up again...

'No more processes' most often is caused by zombie processes, that the
perl daemons leave laying around. Most likely the perl daemons fork at
some place, but fail to reap the child processes. Either add a 'wait',
or use double forking.

Memory usage is a second problem, probably caused by a memory leak in
your perl daemons. Not easy to debug.

Gerd