Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:22:35 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

Actually, I have noted this same issue, and both points are correct.

I have a Compaq IA-1 internet terminal which I converted into an X terminal=
=2E=20
The hardware (was) unmodified, and ran WinCE with no active cooling at all.=
=20
The little machine was perfectly stable, and in fact was designed to never=
=20
completely power down - but instead enter a sleep state when the power butt=
on=20
was pressed.

I then ran Midori Linux on the system (my first attempt at an X terminal), =
but=20
the X server and mouse driver had some serious issues. Nevertheless, the=20
hardware didn't lock up or crash.

I then loaded FreeBSD 4.8-REL on the box, and it started locking up right a=
nd=20
left. Eventually, I added a cooling fan/ heatsink to the AMD K6-2 CPU, and=
=20
the lockups were greatly reduced. (they still occur, but only under duress)=
=2E=20
Keep in mind, all I changed was the OS - the bus clock and multiplier didn'=
t=20
change. Eventually, I installed a K6-III+ mobile processor, and now I very=
=20
rarely get lockups - but it does run noticeably warmer.

This isn't just on AMD hardware, either. I have a dual PIII server that=20
suffers the same problem. It runs at least 4-5 degC cooler under RedHat Lin=
ux=20
(doing the same chores) than it does under 4.8-REL. However, it is a much=20
better built system than the IA-1, and doesn't crash, although the cooling =
is=20
so loud that I've been tempted to put Linux back on it just to get rid of=20
some of the fans.

The fact is, FreeBSD, for some reason, causes hardware to run hotter. Perha=
ps=20
it is a difference in the idle routine, perhaps it is more "active" about=20
checking hardware - I'm no kernel expert. However, this *IS* an issue. For=
=20
those who don't believe the OS can drive the power requirements of a system=
,=20
think again. I installed a SmartUPS on my network, and monitored the load o=
n=20
the power supply. Yep - it increased running FreeBSD versus Windows2k.

However, I feel that FreeBSD is, overall, a superior operating system. Ther=
e=20
is no way I would go back to the hell that is linux - much less Win2k. As=20
such, I just do a little more homework when buying hardware.

Regards,
Seth Henry

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 13:42, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org=20
wrote:
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:45:51 -0500
> From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: Overheating attributed to Freebsd --sysctl variables
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0notavailable--
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:07:45 -0700 (MST), Technical Director
> <trodat@ultratrends.com> wrote:
>
> =3D> Forgive me for saying:
> =3D>
> =3D> If this system is borked with FreeBSD due to the cpu's not cycling
> =3D> 'down', then use a different operating system. FreeBSD is not
> responsible =3D> for your trouble if you can solve the problem by moving =
on.
> Doing so and =3D> solving the problem is more important than holding the =
OS