Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:58:40 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: password length limit?

At 10:02 AM 8/6/98 +0100, John wrote:
>In article <35C5F93B.2412D6F8@acm.org>, Klaus A. Brunner
><k.brunner@acm.org> writes
>>On my FreeBSD 2.2.6 system, I created a user "test1" and assigned it the
>>password "asdfgjkl99" (10 characters). However, I can log in using the
>>passwords "asdfgjkl" (8 chars) or "asdfgjkl33" (first 8 chars
>>identical). It seems that only the first 8 characters of the password
>>are significant.
>
>Only the first 8 chars are significant. As to whether this is a bug or a
>feature, I guess it depends on your point of view!
>
>(As an aside, ssh also behaves in this way)
>
>--
>John

I think only the first 8 characters become significant *after* you install
the DES and kerberos libraries. On my 2.2.6 laptop, I installed DES simply
so I could su more quickly (normally my root password is >20 characters,
just to be paranoid). After installing DES, i only need to enter the first
8 characters and I'm root!

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org