Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Crispin <MRC@Panda.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:48:21 -0500 (EST), Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 	But, by supporting it, you encourage it *shrug*

		A Little Story

See Mark.  See Mark's nice house.  See tall stack of bills on Mark's desk.

See bossman.  See bossman's money.  See Mark program for bossman.  See bossman
give Mark money.  See Mark pay bills.  See Mark eat.

See bossman say "Support mail over NFS".  See Mark say "It is wrong to do mail
over NFS."  See bossman say "Do it, or I won't pay you any more."

See Mark thinking about living on the street.  See Mark thinking about being
hungry again like he was when he was young many decades ago.  See Mark give in
to bossman.

See FreeBSD.  See them tell Mark "it is wrong to do mail over NFS."  See Mark
ask if they will give him money instead of bossman.  See them laugh.

See Mark mull it over.  See Mark decide that Mark's nice house and Mark's full
stomach are more important than whether or not it is wrong to do mail over
NFS.

			The End

> 	More then you gain by having the software inform me that the
> permissions on my /var/mail don't meet your requirements?

You, as system administrator, have a choice:
	1) use the configuration that I recommend.
	2) set the option to ignore the error, which is probably what your
	   FreeBSD colleagues recommend.

Either way will work.  Refusing to read the mail won't work.

> You are teaching
> new system administrators that NFS-mountd spools are "A Very Bad Thing(tm)"

The little story above is why I can't do this.

> 	Solaris 2.5.1, FreeBSD and Linux are the only OSs I have access to
> currently, and they all support it

Solaris 2.5 and Linux use .lock files and support mail over NFS.  It is an
error if the .lock file can't be created on those systems.