Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:16:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        jbarrm@panix.com (Barry Masterson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another 2.1.7 upgrade & no bin dist

It seems that Barry Masterson said:

> I just finished another CDROM upgrade. I suppose it would be
> 2.1.7 -> 2.1.7 this time, except that the bin distribution still
> could not be installed. The message at the end was the same as
> last week:
>
>    Couldn't extract the following distributions:
>    bin catpages
>
> and
>
>    We couldn't even extract the bin distribution. This upgrade
>    should be considered a failure and started from the beginning.
>
> This time I used the boot.flp that was on the installation CD,
> rather than using the one from ftp.freebsd.org, as I did last week.

[snip]

I've encountered the same set of problems trying a virgin install
from the 2.1.7 CD-ROM.

> The actual steps I went through are listed at the end, but more
> interesting are the DEBUG messages from VTY2. Below are the last
> few lines from VTY2, the buffer only goes back so far. I copied
> these by hand and believe they are accurate:

[snip]

>   DEBUG: distExtract: parent: (none), me: bin
>   DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from CDROM
>   DEBUG: Parsing attributes file for distribution bin
>   DEBUG: Parse config: Invalid character 'P' at line 0
>   DEBUG: Finished parsing 0 attributes
>   DEBUG: Trying to match attribute `pieces'
>   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.inf from CDROM
>   DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.tgz from CDROM
>   DEBUG: switching back to VTY1

Same here.  I've been too busy to track this down since then.  Also,
can someone clarify whether the vty which is selected by ALT-F1 is
VTY1 (as the debug messages indicate) *or* vty0???  I've pointed
this out in previous releases and never got a definitive answer...

--don