Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:44:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        erich@lodgenet.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Wingz...

 * I built a port of Linux Wingz, but before I commit it I'd like
 * a couple of opinions on the license.  It's distributed as `shareware'.
 * Here's the questionable clip from the license file:
 *
 *   Wingz 1.4.2 is a "shareware program" and is provided at no charge
 *   to the user for evaluation. Feel free to share it with your
 *   friends, but do not give it away altered or as part of another
 *   system.  If you find this program useful and find that you are
 *   using Wingz 1.4.2 and continue to use Wingz 1.4.2 after a
 *   45 day trial period, you must make a registration payment to IISC.
 *
 *
 * Is a freebsd-port considered `altered' or part of another system?
 * should it set NO_CDROM?

It would be `altered' if there is a patch, but since this is a Linux
program, I assume it's a binary port, right?

And about being `part of another system' ... I don't think having
distfiles/packages on the CD qualifies for that, unless it's included
in a linuxdist or something intermixed with other ports.  Besides, I
think it only helps him to have it more widely available via a FreeBSD
CD-ROM.

However, to honor his interest, I would do the following:

(1) Create a pkg/INSTALL to print out the license file

(2) Call it from post-install: so it will also be read by non-package users

Satoshi