Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 16:17:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        teren@lyria.stanford.edu (Terry Lee)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

Terry Lee writes:

> > I don't really recognize the distinction between a standard component
> > and a port...
>
> I think there is a big difference.  There are too many programs in ports.
> And the same goes for packages.  I think your average customer would
> really appreciate someone who knows better, putting together a
> "standard/typical ports" package.  I think the average user has a hard
> time sifting through the many programs in packages and ports.

I couldn't agree more.  With crashing disk prices ( :-> ), many users,
myself included would love to see several meta-paks (the top 10 .... pak,
etc, where ... is a general theme or interest area), as a good excuse to
go buy that extra drive (even a BAD IDE one :->).  Take the example of
sound, video, multi-media, etc, I'm sure users would really be attracted
to a meta-pak to get them started.

Getting started is always the hard part.  Whilst (for an experienced user)
it is easy enough to go into the ports area, configure and make your own,
when you have to do this multiple times, it is a real disincentive.  Don't
get me wrong, I'm not at all complaining.  I have the greatest of admiration
and respect for what the team and the contributors have achieved in such
a short time.  But I really feel the writer of the jkh perl script got it
absolutely right to want an all singing, all dancing install, etc.

Inexperienced users don't want (or need) to be hassled by complicated
configuration and installation procedures.  They just want to sample
what's available pre-configured, and when they've got enough experience,
they can always delete the meta-pak and then reconfigure and install their
own particular preferences.

> Just my 2 cents.

and mine.

> Terry Lee

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.