Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 13:51:25 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        gerald@manhattanprojects.com (Gerald Abshez)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN's: PPP, SSH et al...

> Hi there,
>
>     I'm trying to get a VPN going with SSH and PPP. I'm trying to use
> userland PPP, and am having
> a few problems with it. I'm not a PPP expert, and I can't really tell
> what it's supposed to do. What
> I think I'm aiming for is  a PPP over the IP connection; however,
> I can't seem to get them to talk
> to each other. Anyone have *any* idea of what I'm talking about?

First, try to get a working tunnel as per the example in
ppp.conf.sample.  Assuming you can do that, you should then be able
to do it via ssh with something like:

  set device !/etc/ppp/secure-connection

and create /etc/ppp/secure-connection (with execute permissions):

#! /bin/sh
exec </dev/null >&0
exec ssh -f -L 1234:theothermachine:theothermachinesport theothermachine sleep
20

theothermachine is the machine name of the peer, and theothermachinesport is
the port number that you used in /etc/services on the peer to listen for the
incoming ppp connection.

I'm afraid I've never tried this, but it *should* work :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;