Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:49:19 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd ACL question

Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
> TK>In this case, I'm considering:
> TK>   * If the username exists, use that.
> TK>   * If the username does not exist and the UID is not already in
> TK>       use, issue a warning and use the UID.
> TK>   * If the username exists and the UID conflicts with the local
> TK>       system, ???
> TK>
> TK>This last case is the tough one.  My temptation:  map it to
> TK>an unused UID, issue a warning about the remap, and keep going.
>
> That may cause the problem I described. This may leave a file in a user
> directory that the user cannot delete without intervention of the root
> user, but its probably the simplest solution.

This would only happen if you are restoring an archive onto
a different system.  If it's the same system, there should be
no UID conflicts and thus no need to remap the UIDs.

I would be very interested in hearing any alternative suggestions.

> What about non-existing groups?

I think I would handle this the same way (for consistency).

> Are you going to replace that horrible thing called GNU tar in the bases
> system?

Probably, yes.

Tim Kientzle