Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:56:16 +0100
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Certain perl ports overlapping with perl-5.8.2 install

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:14:17PM -0800, Ade Lovett wrote:
> [Admin note: sent to perl@ and ports@ to hit a slightly wider audience
> initially - replies to perl@ only please]
>=20
> With my dinkering around with perl5.8.2, I've run into something of a
> problem.
>=20
> A number of ports, so far I have found:
>=20
> 	converters/p5-MIME-Base64
> 	devel/p5-Storable
> 	devel/p5-Test-Harness
> 	devel/p5-Test-Simple
> 	devel/p5-Time-HiRes
> 	net/p5-Net
> 	security/p5-Digest-MD5
>=20
> are also part of the lang/perl5.8 port.  Some of the ports are newer
> than those in perl5.8, others are the same, still others are older.
>=20
> However, what this does mean, that the following sequence:
>=20
> 	cd ${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5.8; make install
> 	cd ${PORTSDIR}/{one-of-the-ports-above}; make install deinstall
>=20
> will end up removing parts of lang/perl5.8 port, resulting in much
> hilarity.
>=20
> With our local ports tree, I've simply added code to these ports to tag
> them as BROKEN for appropriate PERL_VERSION value, and then start the
> slow slog through the rest of the ports/packages we build to adjust
> dependencies accordingly, when a port tries to bring in one of these
> "troublemakers" as a dependency.
>=20
> This is a pretty disgusting hack, so I'm soliciting comments as to the
> right way to do this.
>=20
Actually, I recall a sweep I made for about a year or so ago, to mark
those modules integrated in the 5.8.0 release (at that time) IGNORE for
that perl version. This would of course be the appropriate way to go for
any module with a lower or same version in the port as in the 5.8.0
distro, but does amount to serious trouble for those ports that are
newer.

-erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing      (,-.`._,'(       |\`-/|    erwin@lansing.dk