Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 23:26:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel wishlist for web server performance

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> this regard (ie. have specific HTTP-transmit-file system calls
> everywhere)?

Now, if you want to talk about HTTP-transmit-file calls and things being
specialized for just one protocol, I was actually joking about that
earlier today.

HTTP-NG, which is currently under very initial development, will
almost certainly allow for multiplexed transfers.  ie. multiple
documents multiplexed over a single TCP connection.

A draft spec for that part is at:

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/MUX/WD-mux-971203.html

Now, consider how to efficiently implement sending small fragments
(in SMUX, a fragment is a contiguous bit of data from one of the
multiplexed streams in the TCP connection) on the server.  With
the obvious ways, all these efficiency gains go out the window.
So, to get around that, I was joking that an Apache LKM to implement
MUX would probably help.  <g>  No, I'm not really serious because
it is such a lame thing to do and has horrible portability.  But...
this problem is probably going to come up in the future, and I'm
still trying to see about efficient ways of doing it.  Sigh.