Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:36:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
To:        "Nick LoPresti" <nick@chromatix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Video formats on FreeBSD

Nick LoPresti writes:
 > I posted a message earlier(Subject: .asf files) but no one replied.  D=
on't
 > worry guys, I understand.
 > My question sorta changed anyways...  here goes:
 > Is there a way to play .asf files on FreeBSD?  It is Micro$oft's strea=
ming
 > video format(or something like that).  I imagine you have to install
 > something and run it under X.  I just can't seem to find this oh so
 > wonderful program.  Thanks for the help guys.

Since nobody answered yet, I guess there is nothing supporting this
M$-private format. Following digital video closely, I never saw
anything supporting this format but DOS-enhancers. Anyway, it won=B4t
play under most Winblows boxes, too ;-)

Seriously: There seems to be nothing compatible with Microsoft=B4s .asf
format. IMHO, this was done intentionally. OTOH, to get any streaming
format working, you have to use one of a few known compression
methods, only the compression parameters vary. So if you can get hold
of the format, it would be relatively easy to adapt existing video
decompressors.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
-Christoph Sold=