Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:33:08 +0200
From:      Tzanetos Balitsaris <tzabal@it.teithe.gr>
To:        Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: working SIP phone for FreeBSD?

Quoting Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been searching for a working solution to use audio+video and sip on
> FreeBSD. So far the webcam is working with webcamd's/v4l help and that's
> a good start.
>
> I tried linphone and ekiga3, neither of which worked (both ports are
> outdated as well). There are instructions to build ekiga4 from source @
> their website but I have not attempted that yet.
>

> Just wondering, and for future reference, what are FreeBSD users using
> as a SIP client for audio+video these days? (skype is not an option for
> me for various reasons not worth getting into -- please let's keep it on
> topic lest it derails like this thread last year
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-June/231017.html)

I suggest Jitsi [1]. It is an open source audio/video and chat
software written in Java that supports multiple protocols including
SIP. Specifically, the former name of it was SIP Communicator.

It was listed as a wanted port in Wiki and in the beginning of
December I submitted it as a new port in GNATS. If you want to install
it on your system and test it, please download from the PR [2] the
jitsi.shar file and install it as usual (make install clean).

[1] https://jitsi.org/
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174208

--
Tzanetos Balitsaris