Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:16:56 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Bmake bad variable name

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 12:41:04AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
[huge snip]

> One procedure involved might be to run the poudriere command to
> delete the jail and then the poudriere command to create the
> jail with -v version also explicitly set correctly:
>
> # man poudriere-jail
> . . .
>      -v version       Specify the version of FreeBSD to use in the jail.  For
>                       most methods, and by default if no -m is specified,
>                       version should in the form of ???12.0-RELEASE???.  If you
>                       are using -m git, or -m svn, then the version should be
>                       in the form of Git or SVN branches, which is usually in
>                       the form of ???stable/9??? or ???main??? for CURRENT from git.
>                       Other methods only use the version value for display.
> . . .
>
> (The delete does not remove everything so context is preserved
> across the steps. The jail information kept is rather limited.)
>
> Make sure the jail sees the right vintage of FreeBSD source code
> as well.

Deleting the old jail and creating a new one seemed to work:

root@nemesis:/usr/local/poudriere # poudriere jail -d -j main -m null -M /usr/local/poudriere/poudriere-system -S /usr/src -v 14.0-CURRENT
[00:00:01] Are you sure you want to delete the jail? [y/N] y
[00:00:05] Removing main jail... done
[00:00:53] Cleaning main data... done

Next,
root@nemesis:/usr/local/poudriere # poudriere jail -c -j main -m null -M /usr/local/poudriere/poudriere-system -S /usr/src -v 15.0-CURRENT
[00:00:00] Recording filesystem state for clean... done
[00:00:00] Jail main 15.0-CURRENT arm64.aarch64 is ready to be used

Alas, the problem remains:
root@nemesis:/usr/local/poudriere # ./chromiumscript &
[1] 5879
root@nemesis:/usr/local/poudriere # bmake: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1213: UNAME_r (15.0-CURRENT) and OSVERSION (1400096) do not agree on major version number.
bmake: "/usr/share/mk/sys.mk" line 187: Unknown modifier ":Q"
bmake: "/usr/share/mk/sys.mk" line 201: Unknown modifier ":Q"
bmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
eval: bmake:: not found
export: bmake:: bad variable name
make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1213: UNAME_r (15.0-CURRENT) and OSVERSION (1400096) do not agree on major version number.
[00:01:29] Error: Error looking up pre-build ports vars

Next, I tried removing and re-creating /usr/local/poudriere-system,
using notes at http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/poudriere_on_rpi4

To my surprise, that failed with an error:
--- realinstall_subdir_lib/libc/tests/stdio ---
install -N /usr/src/etc  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   snprintf_test /usr/local/poudriere/poudriere-system/usr/tests/lib/libc/stdio/snprintf_test
--- realinstall_subdir_lib/libc/tests/string ---
(cd /usr/src/lib/libc/tests/string &&  DEPENDFILE=.depend.wcscoll_test  NO_SUBDIR=1 make -f /usr/src/lib/libc/tests/string/Makefile _RECURSING_PROGS=t   PROG=wcscoll_test  install)
--- realinstall_subdir_lib/libc/tests/stdio ---
install: snprintf_test: No such file or directory
*** [_proginstall] Error code 71

make[8]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libc/tests/stdio
--- maninstall ---

Make installworld for the host system ran successfully,
which suggests there is an error in my notes. They were
prepared somewhat after the fact, so it wouldn't be a
huge surprise if a unique initial step got lost.

If you could take a look at the steps listed at
http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/poudriere_on_rpi4
it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading, and all your help!

bob prohaska