Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:39:25 +0200
From:      Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting [alt] key working on console

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

Hi all,

I've been looking trought the mail archives and found some information
about how to write a keymap to get the [alt] key working.
(My keyboard is an spanish one).

What I've found is this: I've to get my current keymap (i.e.
spanish.iso.acc) and copy it to spanish.emacs.acc, for example. Then
I've to go trought each letter, get its ascii(7) value and at to it
the 0x80 hex number. Well, done it, but some times it works and some
others it doesn't. I usually get weird characters when pressing
alt+key. I think there is some error when doing this +0x80 in one of
the keys, but I don't know... (I get this same, weird, behavivour
when trying the us.emacs keymap that comes with freebsd).

Any idea? I want to use readline's keybinding on the console! And
emacs...

Why FreeBSD's console is so problematic?... Other problems that I have
are these:
- The backspace key does not work as expected in emacs. I've tried the
  us.emacs hack, and works fine with emacs, but then, other programs
  like BitchX, do not get the backspace key properly.
- It can't distinguish between Alt and AltGr (spanish key)...

Any ideas?

Sorry for this so long message, but I'm getting crazy.

Thanks in advance.

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--