Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:50:08 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Time to kill php4, who stands up to save it?

In message <20120409220442.GE90364@azathoth.lan>, Baptiste Daroussin writes:
> Hi,
>
> Apparently we are still sheaping php4 and his friends, which is EOLed by
> upstream since 2008.
>
> on the ports tree we have two consumer of php4, once which seems to be able t
> run with php5 according to upstream website and the second which already have
> newer version using php5 in the ports tree.
>
> So if you really have reason to save php4, please stand up.

I see no reason to keep php4.

On a tangential issue, php52 should probably be kept around, at least for
now. I know of at least one port (www/gallery) which breaks under the
latest PHP due to deprecated function calls which make a mess of websites
using the port (warning messages that should go to a logfile are displayed
on the webpage itself). I think these ports should be deprecated, giving
users ample time to migrate to newer ports (e.g. migration of gallery to
gallery3 is somewhat involved).

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>