Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 95 14:54:54 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        alan@picard.isocor.ie (Alan Byrne)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, alan@buster.internet-eireann.ie
Subject:   Re: disk optimization messages from kernel

> I've just recentlly upgraded to 2.0R.snap-190128.
> I upgraded due to problems with 1.1.5.1 + P90's with PCI cards (long story)
>
> While I was installing the src distribution in /usr/src I got the
> following messages on the console, should I worry about them.
>
> /usr: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
> /usr: optimization changed from SPACE to TIME
> /usr: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
> /usr: optimization changed from SPACE to TIME

UFS by default will time-optimize placement of blocks to speed read access.

When the disk goes over a certain threshold, it switches from time to space
optimization, on the theory that anything that works is better than anything
that doesn't -- that is, it is better you don't run out of disk than you be
able to read from it as fast as possible.

When you drop back below the threshold, plus a watermark, it switches back.

Repeating messages like this during an install men that you are close to
the watermark and close to the threshold, so you bounce back and forth
during the extraction process as it uses then frees large chunks of disk
space.

It is nothing to worry about; however, if it persists, you will probably
want to use the tunefs command to switch over to space permamanently to
stop the annoying messages.

Practically, this will result in you haveing less frags but sequential
access at the ends of large files being slower.

There a little more to it than that (clusters will modulate where it
hapens -- it isn't only large files), but that's enough to get you to
what you need to read to find out more.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---