Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 20:37:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:

>  |Is there a hardware writeup (better than the really anemic thing that
>  |came with the board) that tells me what capabilities are on the card?
>  |What's the link to X10?  Should I go elsewhere to find that out?
>  |If so, what's a good X10 card, or where else ought I to go look at?
>
> What "link to X10 type stuff" are you referring to.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a line from Fxtv, the
app-defaults file:

!Fxtv.remoteType:       X10
                                        ! Remote control type (if present)

There's one or two others.  Do you think they all might trace from the
work you refer to below?

What's a good X10 card I can stick in my computer, and is there anything
readable I could find?  This is *interesting*.

  A while back, I cooked
> some rudementary fxtv/moused support for the X-10 Mouse Remote (a
> TV-remote-like device).  For setup info see section 1.6.3 in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fxtv/README.
>
> Also, there's a Hauppauge Remote that I remember seeing list traffic on.
> Haven't had a chance to catch up with the state of things there.  There may
> be driver support -- you might search the list archives.

OK, I'll do that on Friday evening, just after my last final.  I did
pretty well on the one today, and decided to give myself the rest of the
day off to look at this neat stuff.  Glad I did, this is great.

One point, tho, the mute on fxtv works, but the volume slider doesn't.
My hardware, my configuration, or a bug?

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).