Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:57:22 +0100
From:      Morten Rodal <morten@rodal.no>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Our lemming-syncer caught in the act.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:39:04PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> [030210 14:25] wrote:
> >
> >     Try reproducing the problem with kernel profiling turned on.  The
> >     syncer is not likely to be the cause of the large file removal issue,
> >     since that involves only bitmaps.  The cause is more likely to be
> >     softupdate's bitmap dependancies.  Try turning off softupdates and see
> >     if that improves performance.  Softupdates creates some rather nasty
> >     buffer cache issues due to the number of buffers it removes from
> >     management.  Also, dependancies prevent the buffer cache from being
> >     able to flush a buffer.  The buffer cache was not really designed to
> >     deal with flushes which don't undirty a buffer or large numbers of
> >     buffers being temporarily removed from management.

Profiling sounds like a good idea, but I have never even done
profiling on a regular program so I think I'll wait a little before I
try something like that on the kernel.

Unfortunatly I will not be able to test the performance without
softupdates right now, and I forgot to look at that when I tested
Alfred's patch.

> I don't have a 5.x box handy here, but if someone could run this patch
> and let me know what it does I would appreciate it.
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/kern && patch < path_to_this_file

[snip patch]

The patch did not solve the problem.  At first I only tried with the
last giant pre-emptive, but found out the problem were still there.
I then enabled the ifdef (to be presise I removed it), but it did not
seem to make any difference at all.

--
Morten Rodal