Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:13:35 +0100
From:      Rick van der Zwet <info@rickvanderzwet.nl>
To:        Monthadar Al Jaberi <monthadar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [jail][vnet] wlandebug inside jail, operation not permitted

On 16 February 2011 17:34, Monthadar Al Jaberi <monthadar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have created a jail with "jail -c jid=1 vnet persist", then moved a
> wlan to it "ifconfig wlan0 vnet 1" but when I try to run:
> "jexec 1 wlandebug -i wlan0 state" I get :
>
> wlandebug: sysctl-set(net.wlan.0.debug): Operation not permitted
> net.wlan.0.debug: 0x22000 =>
>
> I can run wlandebug before moving wlan to a jail, but why cant I do it
> inside the jail? I am running everything as root.

You cannot control your device drivers from a jail. I am even
wondering why you try to do this commands inside a jail in the first
place.

Please have a look at the handbook page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html to see the intended
usage of jails and what is possible and not.

Br. /Rick
--
http://rickvanderzwet.nl