Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:19:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   New PCBRIDGE

For those interested... I have done quite a bit of rewriting of
my pcbridge code, which is now much more stable than the previously
released version (which was quite buggy). Those who want to try it,
please get the updated version from my home site:

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/bdg300.tgz

Among other things, I have added buffering of incoming packets, so
that now it might become feasible to do bridging between an ethernet
and a much slower link (e.g. a serial/parallel port) if someone
wants to add the code.

Performance is not so bad. On a 486/66 (I can't find 386 anymore!)
ping times between two nearby systems increases by 500us for
standard-sized packets, and some 5ms for 1500-byte packets (the
bridge is store-and-forward). This with ISA boards.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/