Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:01:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Taro <tarozax404@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetGear FA411 driver support in FreeBSD 4.5

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Taro wrote:

> I have a NetGear PCMCIA ethernet card (FA411) and FreeBSD 4.5. When I
> type ifconfig -a, I don't see a network device corresponding to this
> card. What should I do?

I've got a Netgear FA410 which works, although it's a little slow to
configure.  Here's the additions I made to /etc/rc.conf:

removable_interfaces="ed0"
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_flags="-z"
pccard_beep="0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 100baseTX"

Even with the -z flag, the interface doesn't come up in time to be used
by the defaultrouter entry.  So I added the route manually, and it's
worked ever since.  It appears that there are numerous ways to run
ifconfig here, but this is the only one that worked for me.  Note that
the pccard_beep="0" command just turns off the beep on card detection.

Oh, and I added the /etc/pccard.conf with a single command:

irq 10

because that's the only irq available on my Tecra 8000.  The FA411 is in
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf, so it should work.