Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:56:46 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Giant Locked drivers

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 at 12:37, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> It's no secret Giant-locked drivers' days are numbered. We've been more s=
luggish about eliminating Giant than had been hoped. I plan in the coming w=
eeks to add a tunable 'debug.giant_drivers' which initially will be set to =
enable/disable giant-locked drivers in the tree.

> When set to 0, you get today's behavior. If set to 1, it will no longer a=
llow drivers that don't request MPSAFE interrupt handlers from registering =
(the interrupt setup will return an error).

I think having such a tunable is a good idea, but let's use
positive-sense sysctls, so that we set the enable sysctl to 1 to allow
Giant-locked drivers and to 0 to disable.