Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:11:43 +0800
From:      Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sharing a single link evenly

Hi, Whilst reading Luigi's page on dummynet

http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

I came across the following paragraph

If you want all machines to share evenly a single link, you should use instead:
ipfw add queue 1 ip from any to 10.1.2.0/24
ipfw queue 1 config weight 5 pipe 2 mask dst-ip 0x000000ff
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 300Kbit/s

According to the ipfw man page, the value of weight ranges from 1..100.
I am trying to get some understanding as to why the value '5' implies
evenness. My first thought that the weight should be 50 but maybe I am
misunderstanding some concept or in this case could the value be
anything since we want each flow to have the same weight ?

Regards, Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg@outblaze.com