Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:44:56 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for a Wireless NIC with 802.11ac or 802.11n support

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> Adam Vande More wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm looking for an internal Wi-Fi NIC with support for
> > >
> > > 1. 802.11n or better 802.11ac
> > > 2. HOSTAP mode
> > > 3. 5 GHz band (better both 2GHz and 5GHz).
> > >
> > > for an AP running FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > A USB NIC would do too, but a PCI-E is preferable.
> > >
> > > Could you please advise a good one?
> > >
> > > I've been told that I have a rather narrow choice between ath(4),
> > > mwl(4) and ral(4) NICs. Is that correct?
> > >

> > I have a later model ath and it works well for 2 and 5 Ghz.
>
> Dear Adam,
>
> Can you please tell the exact model of your ath card, and also post
> the output of "ifconfig ... list caps" about this card to see if it
> supports HOSTAP mode?
>
> > My iwm which
> > supposedly supports 5 GHz doesn't work there but is okay at 2.
>
> Same about your iwm. Thank you in advance.
> >
> > I have no experience with HOSTAP mode.
>
> Running "ifconfig ... list caps" may show HOSTAP support.

My ath info:

ath0@pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x21161a3b chip=0x0034168c
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Qualcomm Atheros'
    device     = 'AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter'
    class      = network

drivercaps=4f8def41<STA,FF,IBSS,PMGT,HOSTAP,AHDEMO,TXPMGT,SHSLOT,SHPREAMBLE,MONITOR,MBSS,WPA1,WPA2,BURST,WME,WDS,TXFRAG>
cryptocaps=1f<WEP,TKIP,AES,AES_CCM,TKIPMIC>
htcaps=701ef<LDPC,CHWIDTH40,SHORTGI20,SHORTGI40,TXSTBC>

iwm:

iwm0@pci0:2:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x10108086 chip=0x24fd8086
rev=0x78 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Wireless 8265 / 8275'
    class      = network

drivercaps=580c201<STA,PMGT,SHSLOT,SHPREAMBLE,WPA1,WPA2,WME>
--
Adam