Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:46:23 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        sysop@mixcom.com
Cc:        rob@xs1.simplex.nl, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: term server

I installed a PM2 (my first) at an ISP, and an Ascend Max 4004 (also
my first) at NASA/HQ (my day job). If I were to start an ISP tomorrow,
I'd buy a PM*3* in a heartbeat, even though I haven't played with one
yet.

On the down-side, the PM2 docs were painful: discussion of PMconsole
setup and admin, but no ref for command line config; they've come out
with new docs, so hopefully this has been remedied. But the machine
(PM2) seems sound, the firmware robust, and the price per port --
especially for the PM3 -- quite good.

The Max is obviously a more complex beast than the PM*2*, with PRIs
and such. What gets me is the high cost and the almost *daily*
firmware "incremental" releases, "patch" releases, and actual
"release" releases. I am very disappointed with their SW engineering
and quality control. Ours was rebooting every 8 hours until a recently
firmware release fixed the bug.  A bug in their RADIUS daemon
prevented us from doing password expiration *and* idle timeout for
many months until a recent release of that. It's real hard to keep
track of the patches/incrementals when they come out so often -- and
frequently introduce more insidious problems.

Livingston SW releases seem much more controlled and careful. I like
that in a production environment.

Both have excellent on-line techies: Megazone for Livingston, and
Kevin Smith for Ascend. Real heroes when you need 'em.

But bang per buck and stability-wise, I'd go PM3.