Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:27:16 -0800
From:      Steven Kehlet <kehlet@fisix.com>
To:        "Brian J. Sletten" <brian@parabon.com>
Cc:        david@metalogik.com, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java plugin 1.3.0_01

> Is anyone out there using the JDK for sufficiently diverse applications that
> they feel comfortable saying it works?

I think the people involved in getting java to work on freebsd have
done a great job and have allowed me to work under freebsd, which
is great!  Thanks! :-)  I've been using the blackdown 1.2.2 jdk
with green threads, no jit, which has been reliable for me for over
6 months now.

With that said, I've been wanting to reap the speed benefits of
using the jits that are issued with all the available linux 1.3
jdks (Sun's, Blackdown's, or IBM's), but haven't had success.
Granted, I'm trying to run ATG's Dynamo, which is a monstrously
huge java application, and no doubt pushing everything to the limits
:-).

(I've applied the 4.2-stable kernel linuxulator sigaltstack patches
that were mentioned a while back on this list).

		Sun (the 	  Blackdown		     IBM
	        linux-jdk1.3
	         port)
           	-----------  	  ----------------------     -------------------

w/ JIT,		N/A               N/A                        N/A
green threads

w/o JIT,	works okay        works okay                 N/A
green threads

w/ JIT,		sig11 at startup  sig11 at startup           works for a while,
native threads	                                             then threads begin hanging

w/o JIT,	N/A 		  N/A                        works for a while,
native threads                                               then threads begin hanging

If I can provide any more information or perform any tests, please
let me know! :-)

FreeBSD leviathan.techfuel.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Fri Jan 26 11:51:10 PST 2001     kehlet@leviathan.techfuel.com:/nfs/freebsd/RELENG_4/src/sys/compile/LEVIATHAN  i386

Steve