Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:43:09 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an: setting WEP keys with ancontrol and ifconfig

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 09:31:38PM +0100, Marco Molteni wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I have a question regarding the aironet an driver. I am using FreeBSD
> -stable.
>=20
> I would like a confirmation that I understood correctly the
> differences between setting a WEP key with ancontrol and ifconfig.
>=20
> WEP keys:
> 	ifconfig:  range 1-8, 1-4 temp, 5-8 perm,  default is 1 (temp)
> 	ancontrol: range 0-7, odd temp, even perm, default is 0 (perm)
>=20
> "default" behaviour is different:
> 	ifconfig an0 wepkey thekey1 # set first temp key
> 	ancontrol -k thekey1        # set first perm key
>=20
> is this correct?
>=20
> if yes, I think the difference is confusing. I would vote for
> ancontrol going the ifconfig way, or at least to set as default the
> first perm key instead of the first perm key.

The default in both cases is the first key. If there is a temp key it
is used if not the permanent key is.  Actually, the default has nothing
to do with the program you use to view it.  It's a driver attribute.
ancontrol will probably just lose support for functionality covered by
ifconfig in 5.0.  The behavior will not change in 4.x.

-- Brooks

--=20

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--