Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:14:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        khetan@iafrica.com, joerg@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network access through PCEMU

As Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Error: Unimplemented opcode 6F at cs:ip = A000:180A4
> > Error: Unimplemented opcode 6C at cs:ip = A000:180A6
> >
> > constantly. Any ideas ?
>
> yes -- should implement these opcodes... I don't remember exactly but
> these might be some of the insw/outsw family, hence they might not be
> too hard to implement in the emulator.

Umm, you don't want to run pcemu with IO privs, do you?

_Implementing_ the insb/outsb family might seem easy, but _correctly_
implementing them is fairly hard.  You also need to co-operate with
the kernel to make sure the intended ports are not claimed by a kernel
driver.  This is basically impossible since there's no exhaustive list
of which ports are claimed by the kernel available.  An ethernet card
might be easy, but think of things like a VGA with its scattered IO
port address range, or even a plain IDE controller wich shares a port
with the floppy controller.

--
cheers, J"org