Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:13:21 -0700
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   No SATA disks appear on E7520 with 5.4-RELEASE

Hello,

I just got some SuperMicro 6014H-T servers in the door.  Nice, as ever,
but, uhm, no FreeBSD.

I've got two Western Digital 80GB SATA drives in here, which I intend to
gmirror.

The system comes with this funky Adaptec thing that does a "fake RAID"
sort of thing where it marks the disks and then lets a custom
Windows/Linux driver actually do the RAID.  I have that set to Disable,
though it still babbles out its messages during boot.

What I get is the system to boot the install disk, but no disks appear.

So, I hit the BIOS and check out "Native Mode Operation" which supports
"Serial ATA, Parallel ATA, Auto, or Both" ... *whistles*  My
understanding is I want to disable Native Mode, else I'll see some
driverless PCI devices.

IF I boot with "Auto" (native mode ON) I see ONE of these:
pci3: <mass storage, RAID> at device 4.0 (no driver attached)

(So, it looks like maybe it is seeing the Adaptec RAID, sort of?  That's
not right ... I even tried creating / breaking up the RAID set, to no
avail.)

IF I boot with "Parallel ATA" (native mode OFF ... remap SATA devices to
PATA devices?) I see a bunch of these:
ata2-master: stat=0x14 err=0x14 lsb=0x14 msb=0x14

The curious and capable are welcome to view my verbose boot output:
http://ratchet.nebcorp.com/~djh/native-Auto.txt
http://ratchet.nebcorp.com/~djh/native-Both.txt
http://ratchet.nebcorp.com/~djh/native-PATA.txt

The latter two are identical except for CPU speed detect.

Any advice?  The plan is to have these hosting a new production system
next week.  (I guess I should never agree to purchase a bunch of servers
without testing them first, eh?  The 6013P-Ts have been good to us ...)

Thanks in advance for assistance.  If someone wants to test code, I can
probably oblige ... though it it rather difficult, given that I can't
get on the disks.

I'll give 5.3 a go, meanwhile ...

-danny

--