Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:03:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "srinivasarao" <srinivass@in.ceeyes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: help me!!!!

> >hi,
> >In FreeBSD i want to compile the module "dev"  which should reflect the
> >kernel also, without compiling the kenel completely.

You can't do this.

> > and also i want to
> >include one more directory in "/usr/src/sys/dev" . so to compile that
> >directory files  shall i have to made changes in Makefile of
> >usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC?

Edit sys/conf/files and add the actual *files* to be compiled, not the
directory.

> >what are all the steps to be taken care while
> >making changes in Makefile?

You should never edit the kernel Makefiles.

> >and how to compile the individual module, which
> >should reflect changes in kenel also? ......

Modules are built as part of the kernel build.  You can also build
modules idependantly in sys/modules.  Note that module code should not
depend on options from the kernel configuration file (or if they do,
these options need to be set up seperately in the module's Makefile).

Regards,
Mike