Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:53:53 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
To:        "Asenchi" <asenchi@asenchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ?: natd and ipfw

Hello Asenchi,

A> hello,

A> i am somewhat new at fbsd, and i am setting up a firewall for a network.  I
A> have a question about configuring three nics to handle dmz stuff along with
A> the internal network.

A> here is my setup:

INTERNET ->> [oif=vr0 1.1.1.1] -> [iif1=xl0 10.10.0/24] -> NETWORK
A>                 [iif2=rl0 10.10.1/24] -> DMZ (Webserver/Email/FTP)

A> Here is how my configuration is setup:

A> I have IPFW built into the kernel.  Right now I have built my own
A> rc.firewall file and am using that.  I also have natd running and enabled in
A> rc.conf.

A> I guess I don't know what else you would need, if you want me to send along
A> my configurations I can do that.

A> Here is my question.  How do I redirect incoming packets that want to go to
A> my website to my DMZ side of the network?  I have read about -redirect_port
A> | -redirect_address but really don't understand how that will filter the
A> traffic.  I need to read a little more but thought maybe somebody on this
A> could give me some direction.

maybe an example will help you.
if you add following line to your natd.conf file:
redirect_port tcp 10.0.1.1:25 1.1.1.1:25

then all tcp traffic coming to your box, port 25 from internet will be
forwarded to machine 10.0.1.1 port 25 (in DMZ network).

A> I guess I should simplify the question.  How do i route traffic that is
A> trying to reach my website?  How do I specify the correct traffic?  Can I
A> use a host name instead of an ip address in natd configurations?

yes, you can use host names and port names along with numeric
equivalents, like
mail.domain.com:25
mail.domain.com:smtp
1.2.3.4:smtp
1.2.3.4:25

A> Sorry if this is too much, I hope I have layed out my question so that you
A> can help me.  Please respond to the group with any direction you could give
A> me.

A> Thank you,

A> ASENCHI

; NKritsky