Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:55:21 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using LinuxThreads

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 02:47:53PM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> *confused look*
>
> somehow even though i've been trying to follow this thread i got lost.
>
> questions:
> 1) are 'linuxthreads' enabled by defualt now?

The terminology is a little confusing.  There's "linuxthreads" for those
running linux apps in FreeBSD using the linux emulation modules.  Then,
there's a port of linuxthreads to FreeBSD which runs natively, ie. no
linux emulation, and gives 1-1 kernel threading to apps that link to
it.

Both require some options to be turned on for kernel/world builds that
are not on by default.  (see http://lt.tar.com)  Julian Elischer has
agreed to commit the patches to remove the options and make the code
change permanent, when I send him the patches.  I'll send him the patches
as soon as I can test them after a "make world", which I'll do as soon
as the libcrypt build problems are fixed.

> 2) if not then 'make world -DLINUXTHREADS' ?

See above.

> 3) when it's decided can someone explain how to use this stuff nativly?

See http://lt.tar.com .  I also have some patches for squid, glib and I'm
working on gimp to compile using the FreeBSD port of linuxthreads.  Others
have had success in varying degress with NSPR (mozilla), ACE and others.

--
Richard Seamman, Jr.          email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450